Upload Опубликованный материал нарушает ваши авторские права? Сообщите нам.
Вуз: Предмет: Файл:
141.31 Кб

1 Общие сведения о Выборге, этапы истории

Vyborg is one of 29 towns of Leningrad Region, the administrative center of Vyborg District which occupies the major part of the Karelians Isthmus. The entire area of Vyborg makes a bit more than 62 square kilometers one third part of which is occupied by water. The main part of Vyborg is located on the peninsular and several big islands (Gvardeisky, Tverdysh and Zamkovy) connected with each other with bridges and dams. The urban population makes 80 thousand people in number.

Located at the crossing of trade ways between Europe and Russia Vyborg is a large economic center of Leningrader Region, a sea port on the Baltic and an international center of cooperation and tourism in the North West of Russia.

Vyborg is a unique town, its seven centuries of history are closely connected with Sweden, Finland and Russia. The are 305 objects of cultural heritage of Baltic countries. Among them there are two most famous objects: Vyborg Castle the only medieval castle in Russia and Monrepo Park. The atmosphere of a medieval European “old town” annually attracts up to 400 thousand tourists.

4 Крепостная (Ратушная) площадь

Fortress square, the former Torkkeli Knuutipojantori (Torkkeli Knuutinpoika Square), is situated opposite the castle. Its shape stems from the mid-1600’s but all the buildings on it were rebuilt in the 1880’s and 90’s. Until 1940 the buildings on the square included the Historical-Ethnographical Museum of Vyborg, and the building in the middle of the square served as the main guard house of Vyborg. The public character of the square was partially lost during the Soviet era as the buildings were allocated new functions. A statue of Tyrgils Knutsson (Torkkeli Knuutinpoika in Finnish), the founder of the castle, stands in the middle of the square.

5 Рыночная площадь

Market Square has always been a lively place. In 1866, this square located near the Round Tower was specially leveled and opened for trade. Prior to that, Vyborg Winter Fair was held on the ice of Saalakkalahti adjoining the square. In Soviet times, the square was closed for some time to trade, only the covered market worked. But since 1990 both the market and the square became a place where Vyborg citizens always have a large selection of products and local goods.

6 Петровская площадь

Peter’s Square.

In the early 1750’s the first wooden building of the engineering courtyard was built on this area. The existing stone buildings - the Engineers house and storerooms were designed in 1773 and later built. In the 19th century there were apartments for commander and officers of the engineering team and later an engineering management of the fortress in this building. Although both buildings were rebuilt several times their shape is still visible, such as early classical pilasters and a distinctive window frames.

  1. Театральная площадь

The two squares of the former Valli area, Pioneer Square and Theatre Square acquired their present form at the end of the 1700’s. Pioneer Square was known as Paraatikentta (Parade Ground) until the Second World War, but despite its name the square was not just used for parading and drills by the occupants of the barracks area next to it. Before the First World War tennis was also played here. At present there is a fountain, adorned with a granite statue of a bear, in the middle of the square. The bear is by the sculptress Eva Gylden and was originally situated in the main facade of the Vyborg Railway Station building (1913) destroyed by Soviet troops during the war. Up until the Second World War the Theatre Square was known as Raatihuoneentori (Town Hall Square) after the adjoining Town Hall. During the Soviet era the Town Hall was turned into a cinema, and even the theatre building next to it was pulled down.

Тут вы можете оставить комментарий к выбранному абзацу или сообщить об ошибке.

Оставленные комментарии видны всем.

Соседние файлы в предмете [НЕСОРТИРОВАННОЕ]